Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MOSAIC Camp - Day 1

I know I have been a bad blogger, but sometimes life gets in the way.  I am surely going to make a point to blog more often once school is out of session and I feel like I have a little bit more ME time.  This week I find myself on a wonderful camping trip with my students.  This is my third time at MOSAIC Camp and every year things just get better.  The camp is located in Napa, about 1.5 hours from Oakland and different schools from all over the Bay Area are brought together to learn about diversity and tolerance.  The children take part in creative and powerful learning experiences and find themselves eager to go home and teach others the MOSAIC values...

Mutual Respect
Open-Mindedness
Self-Respect
Attitude
Individuality
Community

Though I would love to post pictures of my students here having a blast, legally I cannot.  So, I will write and take pictures of the lovely and peaceful Enchanted Hills Forrest.  Hopefully, you enjoy the stories you hear and want to keep reading.  But most of all, it is my hope that the lessons my students will learn this week impact you as positively as they will the children and myself.


Upon arriving to camp students are quickly whisked away into MOSAIC land and begin preparations for an exciting, fun, and challenging week.  We, the teachers, are allowed time to set our things down and then we are off as well to join in on welcome activities.  Immediately, students are encouraged to step outside of their comfort zone and meet new folks.  My students are all smiles and I enjoy watching them meet new friends and just be 4th graders.  Often times my students don't have time to just be kids.  Other more pressing things stand in the way; what will I eat or where will I sleep.  Camp is a time for these children to be kids and play and laugh and get dirty.  They meet other kids who are different than they are be it by skin color, sex, height or ability.  The first day of camp marks the beginning of a wonderful journey for these children, one that they will never forget and with lessons they will surely pass on to help create peace and love in the world around us.


And so it begins.....
 
Now playing... We Shall Be Free by Garth Brooks.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment