Monday, June 6, 2011

Relationships: Family

This installment of Relationships will focus on my family, as they have played a major role in making me the person I am today.


My mom... From my mom I have learned to love unconditionally, enjoy life, speak proper English, cook, be creative, patience, trust, forgiveness and to lend a hand to those less fortunate than I.  My mom has taught me that the best things in life are free and to save more and spend less <--- something I am still workin' on!  My  mom taught me to enjoy reading and to ALWAYS proofread my work before I press submit.  She taught me to say I love you to loved ones often.  Mom taught me that you're never too old for a snuggle session and a warm blanket.  My mom taught me how to throw a fabulous party and how to be a friend.


My dad... From my dad I have learned to work hard, play hard, cry when things are sad, cry when things are happy, be firm when necessary, think before I react, brush my teeth twice daily, give to those in need and love my work.  He has taught me the importance of having one of those nifty screwdrivers with all the different shaped thingys on them and how to throw a baseball.  Dad taught me to do things carefully and correctly the first time, measure twice and cut once.  He taught me how to check my oil and tire pressure, make sugar cookies, and wear my retainers every night.  My dad taught me to take care of others and give second chances.


My sister... KC has taught me to take a joke and laugh often.  She taught me to be assertive and give my honest opinion.  My sister has shown me how to be tough and girly at the same time.  KC taught me that home perms can turn out fabulous and the importance of a good hairdryer.  She has given me tips of keeping myself safe and how to maintain a good tan.  Everything I know about make-up and cosmetics I have learned from her and she has also helped me laugh at myself.  She taught me to go all out for theme parties.  She has become a wonderful and loving mother and by doing that shown me the unconditional love and support that only a parent can give to their child.  KC has taught me to look out for those important to me and how to throw a good party.


My grandparents... Pops, Grammy, Mimi, & Popi taught me many things.  From them I learned tolerance, acceptance, and creativity.  I learned how to garden and make lasagna, play cards and dominoes.  They taught me the importance of a good handshake and a proper introduction.  From my grandparents I learned the importance of past experiences and the impact that they have on our lives.  I also learned to keep things neat and tidy and how to make a homemade pumpkin pie.  From my grandparents I learned how to put my face on and say please and thank you. 

My aunts and uncles... Baba, Layla, Greg and Tally have also taught me a lot.  They taught me to have strength and courage.  Tally helped me learn to read and is such an inspiration to me.  Layla is always teaching me about the latest gadgets and anything having to do with health and fitness.  Baba taught me to do magic tricks and be generous.  Greg taught me the value of hard work.



My nephew... Though only four, Marco has taught me so much.  I could list all the things that I have learned from him but it would go on forever.  A few things he has shown me are the importance of a nap and a good hug.  He has also a constant reminder to live life to the fullest and play often.  From him I have also learned a different kind of compassion and love than anyone else has taught me.

Now playing... Moondance by Van Morrison
As song that will forever remind me of my parents.  I love you.


2 comments:

  1. I always love your blog - just never expected to be in it. As always, love you and am so, so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete