Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thinking About Thursdays...School Pride

"Budget Cut Blues" have been getting me down these days.  In an effort to combat the "Budget Cut Blues" this Thursday I am thinking about all of the fabulous things that my students, my school, and myself have been doing.

Friday, February 18th, my 4th graders are headed to the Oakland Unified School District Oratorical Fest Competition!  Last month we competed against other classes from our school and won the judges votes with an original poem entitled "Martin Luther King Jr. Had a Dream and So Do We!"  I am so proud of my students and their hard work and dedication!  

"Letters make sounds, sounds make words, and Words frame our World.  The students, parents and educational teams of Oakland are proud to announce the thirty-second year of this event.  Approximately 5,000 students and numerous volunteers will come together for one of the most positive and rewarding educational experiences honoring the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and all those who have championed for the betterment of mankind.  The competition honors the life of a great orator - who made the highest sacrifice in his dedication to combat injustice and fight for the rights of all humanity regardless of nationality, race, or color.  The fest allows students to develop a strong sense of self, their talents, and their own voice developing into tomorrow’s leaders."









We will be dressed in blue jeans and white shirts hoping to bring home a trophy to our school!  

Wish us luck!






Though my students can be difficult and trying at times, they have been diligent this year and proved that hard work pays off.  At our school we say - Think you can! Work hard! Get smart!  Based on our most recent trimester tests my students have been believing they can and achieving their goals.  

I am so proud of the Room 15 Spartans!

After a few hard days at work, I spoke with two sets of parents today who said, "We are so happy that our child in your class.  You are dedicated, caring, and have done so much to ensure our son/daughter is safe and happy and learning.  Thank you for being a great teacher and believing in our child."  It was exactly what I needed to hear.  Today I have so much pride in myself, my students, and my schoolGo Panthers!


"Wake Up Everybody" by John Legend & The Roots

 

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration to me Ms. Graham and so are your students!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, Ms G! Wish I had you as my 4th Grade teacher... :O)

    ReplyDelete